Saturday, November 18, 2006

Classroom Management Changes

My summer classroom management plan included 4 rules:
1. Be prepared.
2. Raise your hand and wait to be recognized before you speak.
3. Stay in your seat.
4. Respect your teacher, your classmates, and yourself.

I really like these rules and I think I'll stick with them. I questioned the hand-raising for a while, but I think I'll keep it.

My consequences are:
1. Warning
2. Copying from glossary
3. Copying and call home
4. Detention and call home
5. Office Referral

I think I'll stick with my consequences too. I need to make my sign in my room a little clearer and I need to make sure kids understand that if they don't turn in the copying when they walk in my room, they're already on #3 and will keep moving down from there. I've quit assigning other letters from the glossary. I used to assign S (the longest) and P (the second longest) and occassionally others, but that just led to confusion and kids felt it wasn't fair, so now everyone copies "S". I hear my kids in the hall say, "I got letter 's' today"...everyone knows what that means and they'll say something like, "That sucks." Letter S has 32 words and definitions.

I think I'll change a couple of my rewards. Over the summer they were:
1. Verbal Praise
2. Positive Call home
3. Positive letter home
4. Student of the week
5. Student of the nine-weeks

Group Reward: Marble Jar

The rewards are wearing me out. I started giving $5 McDonalds gift certificates to my student of the week which is EXTREMELY effective because they all want them and EXTREMELY expensive, since I give 3 a week. Same problem with student of the 9 weeks. I gave them all a book about a girl in Peace Corps that I found on clearance for like $5 each last nine weeks. I'd like to give them something christmas related, but I have 6 classes and a tight budget. I like the idea of books if I can find The Best Christmas Pagent Ever or something for cheap. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this better for next year.

The Marble jar is annoying. If I'm not up at my overhead, I have to get up to put marbles in or take them out. It's a good motivator for the kids though. Also losing an entire day for rewards is bad. Maybe if I keep it, the reward will only be 30min-1 hr.

I think I'll do a ticket system next year. I'm missing small rewards and incentives and I think tickets would serve that purpose.

No comments: