Saturday, August 05, 2006

The calm before the storm

In about 36 hours I will be standing in front of my first class of students. I'm SOOOOOOO not ready. My room is finally ready (or at least as ready as it's going to be), but I don't have a lesson plan for day 1, let alone the rest of the week. The days don't seem to have enough hours in them and I mostly get home and want to watch mindless TV (Simple life anyone?) so that I don't have to think anymore. I hope this is the most frightening part of this.....

I think I know what I plan to do. The first day we're required to read 30 pages of the district handbook to each class, so I think that will take up a major chunk of time. I also need to go over my class rules/consequences/etc. I have an info sheet for them to fill up when they come in....I really think that's going to take the whole 90 min. I have visions of a great first day lesson complete with the "first day homework", but I don't think I'll get anywhere near it. I'll have it ready, but I don't think it will happen until day 2 (which is actually day 1 with "B" day, so I guess they'll think I'm strict).

I'm finding myself questioning a LOT of what I planned to do. I had a wierd moment where I almost didn't print up my rules/consequences to send home and get signed. I feel a little sense of shame for being so "by the book". My administrators and coteachers are great, but I can tell they all see me as young and naive. My mentor told me that she was talking to the assistant principal (the one who will be observing me teach this year) and mentioned that she was going to help me write all my kids names on my desks (her suggestion) and he said, "Isn't that a little 'Harry Wong'?" Hmmmm...that made me question myself. My mentor did stick up for me though and actually said, (direct quote) "Well, we don't have penises." Meaning that we have to control the classroom because we're not big black ex-coaches who can intimidate a child by looking at them. Anyway, I'm trying to shake the wierd nervous being-judged feeling. My mentor is really supportive, but did kinda make a funny face when she saw my marble jars....

No comments: