Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A break in the clouds?

I've been scared to post...scared I might jinx it....but this week, I think I'm happy. Nothing has changed (I know I was talking to some other people about this Monday), and yet I feel a million times better. I can recognize things now. I feel more capable dealing with the students. I feel slightly more capable as a teacher. I don't question myself as much. Kids act up, but it doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Most of my kids have failing grades in my class right now. This is entirely due to zeros (not turning in assignments). I took a few aside and talked to them today. First test tomorrow. I hope they don't all bomb it. I gave them a review sheet, but who knows if that will help. I am required (district policy) to count test grades as 70% of their grades.

They seem to think if they all fail the quizzes (open-note to check if they did the homework), then the quizzes won't count. They are sorely mistaken, and I don't know how to convince them of that before official midterm or even nineweeks grades. The few that do their work have close to 100s in my class. Part of it is also learning to take notes and pick out the important part of what they read. I figure, after they take a quiz a day on the notes, they'll start to understand what's important out of the textbook...I try to explain it every now and then, too, but it's just something they're going to have to learn.

I have a huge number of absences/medical leave/etc. I have one girl enrolled in my class who has a home teacher that comes and gets her assignments and then teaches her twice a week and administers her tests. I give her her grades, but I've never even met her. I got 3 new students today and still have about 7-8 on my roster that are "enrolled" (supposed to be coming) that I've never met.

Tomorrow should be a dream. My testing procedures are on my board. How to head/number your paper is on my board. The homework to start after you turn in your test is on the board. There are color coded signs for where to turn in the test and the answer sheet. All I have to do is get them started, watch for cheaters, answer questions, and grade papers (I hope). Is there something I'm missing about test days? Thursday might be a little rough since the test is only 36 questions and some will finish that in about 40 minutes and have to work on homework for 45 (but the assignment is pretty lengthy and shouldn't be a problem). But Friday is pep-rally day, so there will be a lot less time left over. I just hope fourth period on Friday has enough time to finish their tests. Especially the cheerleaders/band/dance team. If lunch doesn't run late then they should have at least 45 min and those kids are usually a little faster...I wonder if the football team leaves early for the pep-rallies? I didn't have football kids on A-day, but this week is B-day. Maybe I should check with the coach.

No comments: