Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cold Calling

I used the cold-calling technique we discussed in class this week. I wrote each student's name on half an index card and used them to call on kids during class. It worked pretty well. All the students were attentive and well behaved. I'm sure I'll use it again, but there were a few drawbacks that I need to figure out.

First of all, I couldn't figure out where to put the cards. Half the class I carried them around in my hand, but then I'd need to hand out papers or do something with both hands and I'd set them down. My classroom doesn't have a podium, so I'd set them on a table to the side or the overhead cart. Then I'd walk around the room while I talked and find myself having to run back to the front everytime I wanted to ask a question. I felt like it disrupted the flow of my lesson, but maybe I just need more practice.

The second problem I had was the cards sticking together. Maybe it was because I cut them in half and the edges were a little rough, but it took me a couple seconds to grab each one. Then I'd have to stick it back in the stack, which also took time, since I was trying to stick them in the middle. I would mostly continue talking while I tried to get the card back into the stack, but I felt like more of my attention was on the silly index cards than what I was saying. Again, I probably just need more practice to make this work.

I think next time I use it, I'll try something different, like popsicle sticks or laminated cards (maybe they won't stick as much). I'm thinking about doing it kind of backwards tomorrow while I review with the kids for their test by having the review questions in a basket and each student draws one to answer. I figure that way, I don't have to worry about drawing the cards and putting them back.

No comments: