Friday, September 01, 2006

And the gods smiled down upon me....

The gods had been kind to me. Then for some reason I felt the need to draw attention to myself in my last blog. "Hey, over here! Look at me! I'm happy!"

3rd block in the lunchroom yesterday:
(setting: My angels have just taken their first test today and are eating lunch. One more test to give for the day. Spaghetti and mashed potatoes for lunch)

Characters: Mr. M.-The counselor
Me

Mr. M. sits down next to me in the lunchroom.

Mr. M.: I'm coming to your fourth block today.

Me: Ok, I'm giving a test, so...

Mr. M.: Not anymore you aren't. I'm taking all those kids and putting them in other classes. You're going to teach Mississsippi Studies and World Geography that block.

Me: stunned O....K....

Mr. M.: Don't blame me for this. This comes from the higher ups. I just do what I'm told. Blah, blah, blah.

Me: Yes sir. I don't know what to say. I mean OK. Yes sir. So I shouldn't even give out my test fourth period? Just hold them until you come?

Mr. M.: Yeah. Just hold them. I'll be up there.

As he gets up I look at the teacher sitting at the next table. She gives me a look of pity. I tell my mentor and my department head. I try to eat my lunch.

The bell rings for fourth block. I run down to make copies of my student information sheets so that the little ninth graders will have something to do. I run back up to my classroom.

World History Students: Where do we turn in our review sheet? Is our test multiple choice? Look, Hey Ms. D., I've got that copying assignment for you (from Mr. ISS).

Everyone is in their seats. I close the door. I tell them what's going on.

Me: Mr. M. is on his way up here right now. They're going to break up this class. I don't know exactly what is going to happen, but if any of you are still in here when he finishes, then you have to take your test. So get out your notes, get out something to read, do something.

(To be continued)

1 comment:

Sinister Mr. A said...

Pity. What can you do? Sounds like you handled it well.