Monday, September 18, 2006

Advice anyone?

So...my new class is hell on earth. It could be for many reasons:
1. They haven't adjusted to me yet.
2. They had their routine changed in the middle of the year.
3. The extremely high percentage of "troublemakers" in the class (the vice principal knows 10 of the 18 kids by name from high frequency visits to his office)
4. It's the last period of the day and I'm tired
5. The Mississippi studies textbook would be more useful to start a fire than to teach MS studies

On Wednesday, I had a great lesson planned....then left all my stuff at home. Luckily, the period was only 30-40 minutes (60% day) so I pulled out a blank map and had them label the map to prep for the great lesson to come on Monday. Minor snag....I do a book check for a grade...less than half of the students had their textbooks with them...I give them zeros and berate them about being responsible....then realize that they can't do the assignment without a textbook. I decide to give them my second consequence (copying words from the glossary--I have many copies of these) and tell them they can work off their zero by completing the assignment. About half of the no book kids actually do the assignment. One of them apparently walked out of my room and said, "I'm going to get that b*tch" in such a tone that 2 teachers rushed into my room to make sure I was OK. I don't know which one it was.

I saw them again today. I thought they would bring their books in fear of a copying assignment. 3 kids had books. THREE! I allowed them to share books (which was a management disaster) because at some point work has to be done and I wanted to get them ready for the activity we're doing on Wednesday (No pressure, since Reggie Barnes is coming to observe my little hellions). I passed cotton around the class (that I stole from a field in Batesville) and kids were hitting each other with it, so I had to take it away. I gave a 15 minute lecture on behavior expectations and how if we can't act appropriately, we'll just do worksheets all day.

I have no resources to go with the textbook. The maps in the textbook don't have compasses, scales, etc. so when I want to teach kids that stuff, I have to draw it on. We are learning about dirt, and dirt is boring. We can't get through the part on dirt, though, because they are acting like idiots.

I don't think my management is consistent because there is SO much going on, it's out of control. I send 1-2 children to the office a day (out of 18!!) for stupid things that can't be stopped by "warning" or "detention" because these are not immediate consequences, so the behavior continues until we get to "referrall". They have no respect for me or my things (they got their marble jar dumped out because they put marbles in it while I was in the hall). I am constantly angry with them, which is not helping, but I don't know how to fix the problem. One problem is planning--we never work bell to bell, because I can't invent 100 minutes of activities to go with the crappy textbook, unless we do a chapter a day. I spend 8 hours a week making worksheets. Nothing I do or say seems to have any effect on their behavior. Help!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hey there. They can be trying at times, can't they? Ultimately, though, they're just kids and you have to forgive them. Go ahead and dish out consequences like it's nobody's business. I had a major problem with my first period last year, so I called every single parent and made them sign a revised (more severe) rules contract, basing a significant portion of their grade on professionalism. I didn't expect them to buy it, and they didn't at first, but I stuck to it and pretty soon they were my best behaved class. Stress their professionalism. Meet their resistance with consequences, but apply these without emotion. It is so hard, but so important, to be consistent. I still struggle with it-- sometimes consistency doesn't seem fair-- it doesn't feel right when you apply it. Apply it anyway, and don't apologize for it. This was advice I got from a veteran (a friend of my mom's) and I strongly encourage you to apply it. It was immensely helpful to me. Moreover, give me a call. Seriously.