Thursday, September 14, 2006

Reasons Why

Reasons why I hate teaching:
1. I never get to wear cute shoes.
2. I question my self-worth at least 6,000 times a day.
3. I've forgotten what it feels like to wake up after the sun.

Reasons why I love teaching:
1. Those magical moments (few and far between, but still worth it)
2. My mentor teacher
3. I'm the expert (at least for 100 minutes 3 times a day)


I had a revelation tonight over margaritas and mexican with my mentor teacher. My school has never had a PSAT prep program. My students are in the 10th grade. PSAT is 10th grade. PSAT opens the door to college scholarships and opportunities outside of Jackson. I may have a purpose here. I may have an extra-curricular program. As much as I suck at so many things, if there's one thing I know how to do, it's take standardized tests. I'm going to talk with my principal in the morning.

Also, I learned some things about how excited people are that I'm at the school. Apparently, very positive things are being said behind my back that I was not aware of. The administration is apparently excited. My department is apparently excited (and concerned that I've been so down lately). These things somehow make a world of difference and make next week seem exciting for the first time this year.

I may actually BE a teacher.

1 comment:

Monroe said...

You ARE a teacher and I'm not surprised that good things are being said about you. Keep up the good work. Yes, you are doing good work!