Sunday, September 24, 2006

Honestly

I think I've had an upset stomach since April. Some of it is personal stuff (marriage, moving back to America), some of it is academic (I stress about MTC stuff), and most of it is professional. I'm constantly on-edge. I find myself constantly wondering what would make it better. I really thought teaching would be a perfect fit for me...then why am I so unhappy all the time? Would it be better if I taught in a private school? My hometown? Overseas? Or should I just pack it up, chalk it up to life experience, and get a desk job where I work 9-5 and eat lunch with adults?

I'm lucky that people keep telling me what a great job I'm doing....it's nice to hear, but if I'm doing such a good job, why do I feel so bad all the time? I'm taking next Wednesday off. I've written my lesson plans so that I can. Officially, I have to take my husband to get his driver's license. Unofficially, I need a break before I snap.

I'm questioning my rules. I'm still enforcing them, but I'm wondering if they are really the rules I want. As I become more comfortable in the classroom (like maybe next year), can the hand raising go? Or will that lead to chaos? I gave my kids random group work on Friday that actually went really well. I let them choose their own groups, and it worked out better than when I assign groups (it was their own choice, so they had to work well together). I'm not sure that they learned the content as well as they would have from lecture, but they learned some public speaking skills, writing, picking out main points, and cooperation (They had to write a news story about "breaking events" in Europe in the 1700s--I stole the idea from my teacher's manual). I'm learning that when I let go of control slightly, they do a better job. Not that they can be out of control or not follow the rules, but I can give them a somewhat less-structured assignment and it works out ok. Maybe it's a disaster in the works...maybe it should wait until after Christmas...but there is a level of mutual respect there and as long as there are some boundaries, it doesn't have to be constantly scripted.

My new class was better on Friday. I gave a detention within 5 minutes of the bell and that seemed to scare them. Also, I gave my first student of the week and they seemed really interested in that. I also held them after the bell as an exercise in control. 1 student walked out and will be going to the principal tomorrow morning, but the rest were silent and seated.

I caught a kid cheating on my test Thursday. I wasn't sure until I graded his paper yesterday, but he definitely cheated. Somehow, all of my test "E"s except the original disappeared (it's possible I left them in the copier or something stupid)...I realized this fairly quickly, but it was no problem, because I had 4 other versions. The last class where I gave the test, I know exactly who had the one test "E" because I didn't want him cheating off his neighbor, so I gave him a totally different version. The kid sitting beside my desk had test "D" and then started to recopy his test (why do they do that?) and wrote "E" at the top. I noticed the mistake and told him to fix it. He fixed it, but when I got the test to grade, he had re-written "E". I gave him a zero for cheating. The sad thing is, he didn't even have all the correct answers for E. I have to be more careful about checking their looseleaf for cheat sheets and counting the tests after they turn them in....usually, I have about 15 other things to be doing though. Also, I think for my next test and 9-weeks test, I'll have 20 different versions and only give 4 to each class, so none of the earlier versions overlap with the later classes. Luckily my texbook comes with software that can do that automatically, it's just a lot of printing. (If anyone needs that, you can borrow the CD and install it)

No comments: